Can you believe Hike it Baby has been at it for eight years?
Eight years of empowering families to confidently take their first steps outside
Eight years of connecting families with nature and each other
Eight years of normalizing the idea that getting outside is for everyone
Eight years working to redefine outdoorsy
Hike it Baby means community and support as we instill a love of nature and exploration in the hearts of our little ones. It means coming together to witness the beauty of little eyes, ears, hands (and sometimes mouths) taking everything in, and appreciating the little things we’ve forgotten how to appreciate ourselves. Suddenly, we find ourselves being able to look at the world through fresh eyes and, with the support of our community, we seek out new adventures wherever we can find them. – Anna, HiB Portland
To celebrate, we invite you to join us for a weekend of giving back!
As an organization that thrives on community events, we invite you to help us do good this weekend! We’ve put together a list of 25 ways to give back for you and your little ones to complete together. Finish them in one weekend, take the month – we’re just thrilled to have our community come together to be there for each other.
- Pick an errand you can complete by walking or biking instead of driving
- Take a walk around the block and pick up trash
- Pick up trash at a local park
- Write an encouraging card for a neighbor and walk it to them (leave on their porch or near their door, etc)
- Write happy chalk messages on the sidewalk
- Choose your own way to give back
- Make cards for your local children’s hospital or nursing home
- Choose some gently used toys or books to donate
- Learn about recycling in your neighborhood and start if you’re not already!
- Facetime a family member or friend who you haven’t seen in a while, bonus points if they live alone.
- Send a friend or family member a card/picture in the mail
- Bake treats (muffins, cookies, etc) and drop them off to a couple of friends, family members, neighbors (if you don’t feel comfortable baking and it’s in the budget, you could drop off pre-packaged treats) with a fun note!
- Hold the door for someone
- Write a thank you note for your mail carrier
- Leave a note of encouragement in a library book
- Let someone go ahead of you in line
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth
- Make a thank you sign for your sanitation workers
- Take reusable bags to the grocery store
- Make a thank you card for your librarian
- Help your caregivers with a household task around your home
- Help your caregivers make a meal
- Say please and thank you
- Make or ask for a donation to Hike it Baby!
- Make or ask for a donation to a local nonprofit organization that helps families
I have so many awesome Hike it Baby memories. Like so many people, this group has changed my life: it changed the way I parent, it helped me meet so many wonderful people, and it saved me at some of the toughest times in my life to just have somewhere to go where I could be with other parents who “got it”. -Elizabeth, HiB Brockville
At the heart of all we do is our desire to give back. Making a difference is why we continue to show up and do what we do. And we’re excited for what’s next as we continue to roll out and introduce you to all our new programs! We ‘re working hard to lower barriers of all types so families can enjoy the physical and mental benefits of spending time outside together.
Help us do good together and cheers to eight years!
Hike it Baby has been such a great outlet to have. Such a great community of like-minded people. It has strengthened my relationship with my children for sure. I’m sure we would have a great relationship regardless, but now we have a space where we disconnect online and connect with each other. – Willow, HiB Brockville
And just for fun, you might enjoy this scavenger hunt we put together with L.L. Bean!